Tue, 16th Sept - Guided tour of The Garrick Club (London WC2)
An exclusive opportunity to visit this famous gentlemen's club in the West End established in 1831 with a membership of many distinguished men of the theatre and the arts.
It is one of the oldest, highly-esteemed and exclusive members club in the world and since its conception has catered to members such as Charles Kean, Henry Irving, Beerbohm Tree, Arthur Sullivan, Laurence Olivier and John Gielgud. From the literary world came writers such as Charles Dickens,H. G. Wells, JM Barrie, AA Milne, and Kingsley Amis. The visual arts has been represented by painters such as John Everett Millais, Lord Leighton and Dante Gabriel Rossetti.
The club is not generally open to non-members and the visit includes a conducted tour of the huge range of paintings and theatrical memorabilia of its famous members.
This tour will take us through the 400 year history of cricket as seen through the eyes of its fabled headquarters – Lord's Cricket Ground in Marylebone London.
We will begin in the MCC Museum where paintings, artefacts and photographs of those 400 years are housed. They reveal the game's development from a rural pastime to a modern, international sport. Precious exhibits include the Wisden Trophy and of course the tiny, delicate Ashes urn.
We will be able to walk through the architecturally significant Pavilion, surmounted by the famous Father Time weathervane to the Long Room. The Long Room is a viewing area for Lord's Members as well as a cricket art gallery with portraits of cricketing greats from W G Grace onwards. Players also have to go through the Long Room on their way to and back from the playing area itself. Other highlights include the players' dressing rooms, whose walls are covered by players' Honours Boards recording performances going back into the mists of time.
We will then go down the Pavilion steps to walk across the hallowed playing area (so no stilettos, please!) to the award-winning Mound Stand and on to the more recent and futuristic JP Morgan Media Centre, which was acclaimed in 2001 as one of 'The Fifty Best Buildings In Britain'. The tour ends at the Lord's Shop described as outstanding by The Times in its 'Good Ground Guide'. Our tour will take approximately 1 hour 45 minutes.
If you wish you can then have lunch at The Lords Tavern at your own expense with a 10% discount.
The cost is £25 pp, with all proceeds as usual going to the Art Fund. Numbers are limited so please don't delay in applying to:-
Jonathan Petitpierre – Email: firstname.lastname@example.org – Telephone: 01444 453 277
Thu, 2nd Oct at 11.30am. Meet at the Grace Gates entrance to the ground no later than 11.15am.
Getting to Lords:
1. The nearest Tube Station is St John's Wood on the Jubilee Line, with a 5 minute walk south down Wellington Road, before turning right into St John's Wood Road with the ground on your right.
2. There are buses from all over London, many of them directly to the ground. If you are coming from Victoria the No. 82 bus will drop you at Park Road and take approx half an hour.
Tue 7th Oct – ‘Maritime’, exhibition of paintings at Marlipins Museum, Shoreham, introduced by the curator
‘Maritime’ is an exceptional exhibition drawn from the collections of Marlipins Museum, Shoreham. It will be shown to us by its curator, Emma O'Connor, Museums Officer at The Sussex Archeological Society with which she has been associated for more than twenty years.
The majority of the museum’s paintings are associated with Shoreham’s long tradition of ship building, ship owning and seafaring and the paintings on display cover ship portraiture, general maritime views of Shoreham and others relay a narrative of an historical event.
Marlipins, Shoreham’s local museum, has long been the obvious repository for all manner of items related to the maritime history of the area. This has applied most especially to the deposition of ship portraits, indeed the first photographs of the museum galleries in the 1920s show a number of ship portraits on display.
Whether painted at home or farther afield ship portraits were commissioned by masters, owners and builders to commemorate their interest in the vessel; to record a ship in her endeavours, to mark the promotion of a master, to commemorate a maiden voyage or the success of the builder or ship owning company. The artists have in many instances laden their work with valuable information, inscriptions giving facts such as dates, the names of masters and vessels, the inclusion of identifiable landmarks, and of course the accurate recording of flags and liveries can help determine, owners and destination.
There are supporting documentary sources available alongside the paintings, these include photographs, wreck investigations, newspaper reports of looting, diary entries, personal letters and the tale of the miraculous escape of a pig and canary!
Emma will also be telling us a little of the history of Marlipins which claims the title of the oldest secular building in Sussex dating from the 12th century.
Tue, 7th Oct, 10:45am for 11am – the visit will last up to 1 ½ hours
Tickets, £17 pp, to include tea/coffee and biscuits.
Contact Miles Robinson by email Miles@ArtFundSussexEvents.org.uk - tel: 01273 251 701
Thu 23rd Oct – Guided visit to Lewes Priory Ruins, by Dr Henry Poole
Wed, 12th Nov – Guided tour of The Reform Club, Pall Mall
This is an exclusive opportunity to visit one of London's old-established gentlemen's clubs to learn about its illustrious history and view its many artefacts and portraits of the great and the good.
The Reform Club was founded in 1836, in Pall Mall, in the centre of what is often called London’s Clubland. Membership was restricted to those who pledged support for the Great Reform Act of 1832, and the many MPs and Whig peers among the early members developed the Club as the political headquarters of the Liberal Party "to counter the machinations of the Tory Carlton Club”!
It is regarded as one of the finest Victorian buildings in the country, a palatial masterpiece by Sir Charles Barry that has remained largely unchanged since it was completed in 1841. In his design, Barry was inspired by the Italian Renaissance architecture that he absorbed as a young student in Rome, departing markedly from the gothic style he used for the new Houses of Parliament. Externally it bears a distinct resemblance to the Palazzo Farnese, which Michelangelo completed in 1589, and which Barry had studied closely.
The Library was established in 1841 under the guidance of Sir Anthony Panizzi, a Club member. Panizzi held the post of Principal Librarian to the British Museum, where he is particularly remembered as the designer of the famous circular Reading Room. It has a comprehensive collection of parliamentary papers, reports, speeches and reference works regarded as essential for the many active politicians amongst the early members together with a broad coverage in the humanities, in order to serve the Club's more general cultural aims. It houses more than 75,000 volumes which is still growing under the management of an active Library Committee.
The Reform Club is no longer associated with any particular political party, and now serves a purely social function. In 1981, in accordance with its liberal traditions it became the first such club in this country to admit women on equal terms.
We have been advised that the Club has a strict dress code: gentlemen are required to wear closed collar, jacket and tie, and ladies are required to dress with similar formality.
Wed, 12th Nov at 10:15am for 10:30am. The tour will last about 50 minutes.
Tickets £20 pp to include coffee/tea & biscuits.
Numbers are limited to twenty, so please apply as soon as you can to:
Contact: Jill Holloway - Email: JillHolloway500@yahoo.co.uk - Tel: 01243 774751
Thu, 13th Nov – “The Royal Collection” – talk by Oliver Everett, CVO at Danny House, Hurstpierpoint